LOCATION | WEATHER | TRADITIONS | FAIRS | CULTURAL ASSOCIATIONS | COUNTIES AND THEIR VILLAGES OF THE COUNCIL OF BOTICAS | DISTINGUISHED CHARACTERS
One of the most interesting and important stories about Boticas is related to his wine. When the French invaded the region of vineyards, local buried the wine that had produced to avoid being saqueados.A Since then, this practice continued to be used and became known as the “wine of the dead”.
Boticas, the spa Carvalhelhos are well known, but the region has much more to offer. The council is composed of 16 parishes, and they all have monuments worth visiting. Of all the monuments stand the castles, which since the age of Metal can be visited in the Barroso heights of parishes, Ardãos (castles four) Beça, Boticas, Codeçoso, Dornelas, Farm, Pine, San Salvador Nursery, Sapiãos and Vilar .
You can also enjoy the Roman road Ardãos and a medieval bridge in Beça, both with great historical interest.
Other monument of great interest is the statue of the Galician or castrejo Warrior. Carved monolith is a figure of a warrior and second data Metal Age, between the century. IV and V BC. It was found in Lesenho castle in S.Salvador Nursery, which is considered the most important Lusitanian castle Portugal. According to experts the castrejo Warrior statue is a god and the warrior character of the Castro of civilizations (pre-Roman). There are four statues similar on display at the National Museum of Archeology and Ethnology of Lisbon.
The houses, noble or rustic, represent a kind of elegant architecture and still retain their old roofs (Cerdedo).
The region is also rich in Asian Cuisine, wherein the dishes protrude barrosã made with meat from cattle of the same name, which has protection of origin. The pork carb also deserves special attention because, after the bread is one of the most important food of Tras-os-Montes.
The county of Boticas, with a resident population of 6411 (Senses 2001), is a reality and recent institution. It is a creation of nineteenth century Portuguese liberalism, and the product of the major reforms of the Administration and the Portuguese territorial division, triggered by the Second Liberal Revolution of 1832.
The municipality of Boticas was lawfully and definitively constituted by Decree of November 6, 1836, with detached parishes of Chaves and neighboring municipalities Montalegre and extinction of Dornelas county. Despite the recent county Boticas be the foundation does not mean that the people who are so fresh date date back. On the contrary, its origins are lost in the immensity of time. They shall in particular tell us the abundant prehistoric hill forts, as well as widely varying existing Roman monuments throughout the county area. Naturally, under such facts clarity is well proven in 1836 that when Boticas emancipated, had a long time it had reached majority.
1 – Portuguese Domain – Barroso, as a political cluster dating back to the Afonsinos. Alfonso II, the Bolognese, tried in 1273 to bring together the people of Barroso, but did not succeed. D. Afonso IV continued the work of his predecessors, and in 1331 completed the castle and Montalegre castle walls. D. Fernando donated these lands to Rui Vasques Pereira in 1367, and later Vasco Gonçalves Barroso. Hand in hand walked this earth, until John I did his friend Nuno Alvares Pereira D., Mr Barroso of the Land, and since then such landlord never left the Dukes of Bragança, his descendants.
2 Time Moorish – The flow and barbarians reflux and especially the Moors in these lands during the Middle Ages speak abundantly local traditions, which to refer to anything that is said to be the ancient Moorish times. (Ex. Côto Moorish, Boulder Moorish, Moorish Road, Cova da Moura, Moura Encantada, Mouril …)
3 of Romans time – To prove the rule of the Romans in this region during the ancient times of history – ancient, it would suffice to mention the example, the coins of the Emperors Constantine -Ducas, found in Barroso Covas in 1880, and the Adriano (117-138) found in pine in 1900, the Wells-of-mine or Freitas Carvalhelhos where Romans widely explored gold and tin, the pebble bridge over the Beça would ..
4 Prehistoric Times – From prehistoric peoples, indigenous or aboriginal, who lived here or here evolved, tell us the numerous (27) Castros, namely:
1: Horns of Alturas, 2: Mena or Couto dos Moors, 3: Castle of S. Romao (Barroso Heights)
4: wedges 5: Fat 6: mallet or Amalhó 7: Our Lady of Neves (Ardãos) 8: Carvalhelhos 9: Tower (Beça), 10: Nogueira, 11: heath, 12: Pebble of Ravens 13 Cidadonha (Bobadela), 14: Couto Moors, 15: Knoll Pardo (Boticas), 16: Poio or Naia, 17: Secerigo (Codeçoso), 18: Poio (Covas Barroso), 19: Giestosa or Souto of sludges, 20: slates or Auburn herbs (Dornelas), 21: bollard (Country) 22: Mouril (Pine) 23: Sapelos, 24: wall or fence, 25: College (Sapiãos), 26: Castle Moors (Vilar), 27 : Lesenho (Pond). The state and the preservation of its importance, from the twenty-seven existing forts in Boticas municipality, we highlight two, the Carvalhelhos and the Lesenho respectively. The first is one of the most known Castrejas stations Peninsular Northwest and is situated in Beça parish, perched on a hill overlooking the spa resort of Carvalhelhos. The second located near the village of Campos, parish of St. Savior Nursery which is classified as a building of public interest and regarded as the most important existing Lusitanian castrejo sanctuary. There were found four statues of Calaicos Warriors or castrejos, which are currently the epitome of National Archeology and represent, according to the best experts in this field, the divinity of the image and character of the warrior Castrejas civilizations that inhabited this region. Currently, the statues are in Lisbon being the symbols of the National Museum of Archeology and Ethnology. It refers to the way that the authorities and population of Boticas crave and demand the return of these warriors, to its origins.
As it was considered of interest to the history of the municipality of Boticas and also because it is famous figures, we will list the names of all those who were presidents of the Municipality of Boticas and start dates of their mandates. The installation and 1st meeting of the Municipality of Boticas took place on 18 January 1837. It was chaired by Dr. Ignacio José Gomes Calvão, who became the 1st President of the Board, a position he accumulated with the judge and notary. They succeeded him as president of the House:
2 – Francisco Dias de Freitas – 01/10/1838
3 -José Narciso Alves Vieira – 09/06/1838
4 – Ignacio José Gomes Calvão – 01/01/1839
5 – Francisco Paulla Dias Sanches – 01/01/1840
6 – Domingos Gonçalves – 01/02/1843
7 – António Afonso – 02/01/1845
8 – Domingos Gonçalves da Fonte – 21/09/1846
9 – Francisco Xavier Teixeira – 01/02/1850
10 – André Gonçalves da Costa – 01/02/1852
11 – Francisco Sanches Gonçalves – 03/25/1852
12 – Domingos Gonçalves da Fonte – 01/09/1854
13 – Bernardo Francisco Machado – 02/01/1856
14 – José António Gomes Pereira – 01/02/1858
15 – Domingos Gonçalves da Fonte – 2 / 1/1860
16 – António Annes – 02/02/1862
17 – Francisco José Monteiro – 02/05/1864
18 – José António Gomes Pereira – 10/30/1865
19 – João de Sousa Vilhena – 04/01/1868
20 – Francisco José Ferreira de Andrade – 01/02/1870
21 – António Annes – 05/01/1872
22 – Jose Antonio Gomes Pereira – 01/02/1876
23 – António Anes – 01/02/1878
24 – José António Gomes Pereira – 08/24/1878
25 – Francisco José Monteiro – 02/01/1887
26 – Anselmo José Martins – 01/02/1893
27 – Father Pedro José Maria de Freitas – 01/02/1899
28 – José Manuel Rodrigues -2/3/1903
29 – André Ferreira da Costa – 01/03/1906
30 – Father José Maria Pereira Alves Sanches – 11/30/1908
31 – Dr. Joaquim Alves Carneiro – 10/10/1910
32 – Pedro Antonio Vieira – 03/01/1914
33 – Francisco Venancio de Medeiros Pereira – 01/02/1915
34 – Henry Adelino Lopes Carneiro – 01.02.1918
35 – Antonio Joaquim Pereira da Silva – 09/06/1919
36 – Dr. Arnold Armindo Martins – 01.02.1923
37 – Anibal Augusto Monteiro – 07/24/1926
38 – Virgil Anthony Miranda – 17/08/1929
39 – Dr. José Pinto de Freitas – 16/01/1932
40 – John Evangelista Gonçalves Dias – 15/03/1937
41 – Dr. Antonio José de Oliveira Monteiro Days – 01/02/1945
42 – Avelino Alves de Miranda Junior – 05/14/1948
43 – Avelino Alves de Miranda – 09/06/1948
44 – Antonio Pastoria Mourao – 2/10 / 1950
45 – Agricultural Engineer Tec.º Albino dos Santos Oliveira – 09/02/1959
46 – Dr. Braulio Rogerio Martins – 02/22/1971
47 – Eng Tec.º Agrarian João Manuel Vidigal boiler Parents – 12 / 2/1973
48 – Manuel Lourenço de Carvalho – 06/26/1974
49 – Prof. João Batista Fernandes – 04/11/1974
50 – Prof. Domingos Magalhães – 11/07/1975
51 – José Joaquim de Sousa Fernandes – 01/05/1977
52 – Eng Tec Agricultural Fernando Pereira Campos 01/07/1994
The municipality of Boticas is located in the northwestern part of Portugal, the province of Tras-os-Montes, Vila Real District. Your boundaries along with five municipalities. North with the Montalegre and Chaves; The south with the Ribeira de Pena; The East with the keys and Vila Pouca de Aguiar and the West with the Montalegre and Cabeceiras de Basto.
Currently the Boticas municipality covers an area of 312.41 km2, extending from the river Tamega of Sierra Heights and Melcas saws and saws Marcos at the Leiranco and Pastoria.
Is part of the group of Alto Tamega municipalities also an integral part of the legendary Barroso Region which consists, in general, by a compact mass of highlands, complicated topography, where stands a cluster of peaks and separate saws by broad depressions plateaus.
The weather, cold but dry, is conditioned by many factors such as the latitude, altitude, approach prevailing sea and vegetation. Thus the region is characterized by a long harsh winter and during which some occur snowfalls and frost, with temperatures reaching several degrees negative. Spring is generally quite fresh and may be subject to frost. May everything starts to bloom. In the summer the temperature can rise above 35 or 40 degrees during the day. Contains two very different agricultural zones: the lower, formed by the inner basins of Terva and Beça rivers and the right bank of the river Tamega which although very restricted is one of the richest areas of the county, as there exist lush vegetation and variety of cultures coming from the orchards and cereals. In the highest part of the county,
Boticas has its own charm of transmontanas land charm that naturally part of its inhabitants, proud of their origins and traditions.
FEAST OF POPES:
Feast in honor of San Sebastian, which is held in place in Great Village, Dornelas parish, on 20 January each year. Its famous table, called the table of San Sebastian is set along the village streets, covered in linen, who gets to have more than 500 meters long, to serve free to all residents and visitors, a lunch of bread , rice and cooked pork. Legend has it that during the 2nd French invasion, St. Sebastian made a “miracle” and prevented Napoleon’s soldiers because espoliassem gone off. The people believe that in the years in which they make the feast in honor of St. Sebastian, there will be in this village or famine or plague.
“THE DEAD OF BOTICAS”
lugubrious name! They are nevertheless delicious wines they designate, for wine only comes, wines, constitute a genuine regional specialty.
The Boticas Valley produces a delicious white wine amadurado, palhete, known almost all over the country by the name of “Dead of Boticas”. It is a wine with very special characteristics and unique and precious quality. It is said that during the French invasion (2nd – 1808) the inhabitants of Boticas had need to hide all his possessions in order to protect themselves from the ravages of the invaders. The wine was no exception. It was bottled and then buried. Later, and after the departure of the invaders, the wine was dug up and surprise and delight people acquired this exceptional qualities, more accurate and pleasing to the palate, previously unknown. It has become tradition to bury the wine and that continues to the present day
For commercial purposes, it has been registered his patent for the former home of “Mirandas.” The families of the Martins, Queirogas, Macedos, Lameiras, Father Benedict and dr. Pinto Freitas were those most stressed, in particular in the selection of varieties, Alvarelho, Fernão Pires, Bastard and Carvalha ink, which impart a higher quality. Today this regional product is already a rarity.
SAINT KITTS IN RIO:
On the occasion of Boticas parties, it is customary to place the image of St. Christopher in the river, with the Child Jesus in her shoulders, looking like he will carry it so, again … again each year on the day of Our Lady of Livração, Boticas patron. This gigantic image is placed on the water surface, the brook Fontão, also known as Lake St. Christopher in the center of Boticas village, in order to make up the revival of the story of St. Christopher. This gigantic man who had dedicated to the well, through the shoulders, back and forth across the river, all those who otherwise could not the. Boticas, this tradition goes back to the thirties of the nineteenth century.
SMALL STONE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER BEÇA:
It is said that when the Moors went to build the bridge, only worked at night. Day were not afraid to kill them. Thus were building the bridge, using only fine stones. It turns out that when they were about to finish it, had to flee. There was only a pebble, but never managed to get. Hence the name of the bridge.
Boticas on the 10th and 20th of each month.
In Ardãos on the 6th of each month
Municipal Holiday – November 6 (Until 1937 the municipal holiday Boticas municipality was on July 8, corresponding to the Chaves county)
Major Festivals and Fairs:
Santo Amaro in Campos (nursery) – January 15
St. Sebastian in Great Village (Dornelas) – January 20
St. Sebastian in Alturas – January 20
Santo Amaro in Sapelos (Sapiãos) and Campos (nursery) – February
Santa Barbara in Eiró (Boticas) – last Sunday of May
Our Lady of Health in Covas – 1st Sunday June
Corpus Christi in Sapiãos – Day of Corpus Christi (May or June)
Lord Hill in Pine – last Sunday in July
S . Savior of the World in Nursery – 2nd Sunday of August
Our Lady of Livração in Boticas – 3rd Sunday of August
Saint Margaret in tie (Heights) – Last Sunday in August
Our Lady of the Assumption in Granja – in August
Our Lady of the Snows in Ardãos – In August
MAIN pharmacies RICHES
1 – Veal Meat barrosã and Honey are two superior products, which thanks to its particular and strictly control the production, was given the protected designation of origin (PDO).
2 – The forest that prevails since many centuries is the oak and chestnut. The tree began to be seeded in Boticas and Pine parish from 1890 quickly proliferated throughout the county may also be considered today one of the greatest assets of the municipality.
3 – Extraction and stone processing, energy production clean (wind and water) present are a source of significant wealth.
4 – The existence of a considerably high number of water mills (about 250), associated with the fact that some of them have exceptional characteristics fully justify their functional rehabilitation, which is already underway, with the use of European funds and longs come to provide significant advantages in the development of tourist industry of the municipality of Boticas.
5 – Gastronomy, products based from the pork, such as sausages and ham, the famous trout from the river Beça, bread and rye …. the wine of the dead, delight the most demanding connoisseurs of good food.
6 – Mineral Waters – The waters of Carvalhelhos, born in the town that lent its name, located 7 km from Boticas Village. It is said that … there are over one hundred and fifty years ago, a poor reaper, whose name tradition not preserved, chagada legs, segava grass in a slough of Carvalhelhos constantly covered in water that flowed right there, two springs.
During the days that lasted the harvest, the woman who always had the legs in contact with water, which also drank, noted that the wounds were reduced and closed, disappearing completely.
She attributed her healing water, and spreading to the news as soon as several people from neighboring counties rushed to Carvalhelhos to experience that water in various diseases, especially in skin diseases, all giving the best results. All they healed, so the people began to call them “Caldas Santas” Carvalhelhos. His fame extended throughout the province transmontana and so each year had to Carvalhelhos a true pilgrimage of patients, regardless of who sent to fetch water. As a rule returned cured by giving up with this for satisfied.
The disclosure of this water was made and assured its future. Currently Carvalhelhos Water company has the most accurate technology in relation to procurement, bottling and marketing of its waters.
Cultural Center and Pine Recreativo.
It was founded on January 25, 1978, becoming this way the 1st Cultural Association and recreation, with legal personality and nonprofit Boticas county. Was very active when it comes to sport, especially the modalities of football and table tennis. He created a library and stressed out in organizing parties, meetings in the village of Pine. In its action, the theater was particularly important in particular in the annual representations of the Passion Auto, the Park of Mount Lord of the Shrine.
Cultural center and tie Recreativo.
It was founded on November 25, 1981, supported by the so – called Cultural Animation Group tie set up in 1979. Its main activity translates into theatrical representations of popular taste, outdoor and folklore.
Cultural center and Beça Recreativo
This Association was founded in 1981 in response to the enthusiasm and passion for folklore some people Beça.
Forum Boticas – Recreational and Cultural Association
This Association was legally constituted through public deed, held at the Notary Office of Boticas in July 1989, with the primary objective to be installed in the municipality of Boticas a local radio station, called Forum Boticas whose implementation and 1st issue took place in May of the following year. This association is also the owner of the newspaper biweekly Echoes of Boticas, which is published with the support and guidance of the Town Hall, on the 1st and 15th of each month.
Recreational and Cultural Association Ardãos
This association was legally constituted through public deed, held at the Notary Office Keys on 8 February 1982. Its objectives are to promote cultural, sporting and recreational of its members. Its head office works on building donated by the Parish Council, whose facilities include a bar, games room and meeting room. Adjoins the seat itself there is a sports center, equipped with lighting system, allowing the sport at night. In pursuing its statutory objectives, the association has developed intense activity among its members and the surrounding communities.
Recreational and Cultural Association Bobadela
This association was founded on 12 May 1994 by deed signed in the Notary notary Boticas, whose statutes were published in the Official Gazette on 8 June 1994. Its objectives are the promotion of sport and culture among its members. It has been pointed out in the promotion and realization of popular and traditional games as well as the organization of football tournaments in which it has participated in its women’s football team.
Association of Serra do Leiranco Sapiãos, founded officially by deed held on June 7, 1999, the Notary notary Boticas. The first presentation and public performance was done in off the Parish Church of the village, in a multi – generational living, where people of all ages joined hands and voices to sing several secular songs that their ancestors were transmitting them from generation to generation. Since then, many bright and has been his performances.
The major drivers of this Association have been Dr. Artur Monteiro do Couto and Mrs. Hortense Couto.
The folk Ranches are now a great opportunity for the promotion and dissemination of ethnographic wealth and cultural potential of any region. Its action has contributed to the preservation of the ethnographic legacy of our ancestors, customs, dances and songs ancestors of the county and the region.
Exist in the municipality of Boticas three folk groups, all linked to Cultural and Recreational Associations:
Folkloric of Beça
was established in 1981. It consists of 42 elements. Your costumes are summer or winter, work or Sunday best , linen or homespun. Girls act sidewalks with black patent leather clogs, shoes and scarves or shawls, head on occasion. The guys with black hat or beret and shoes with punches, work boots or shoes Sunday. Sing and dance fashions that their grandparents sang in the mown, spotted, or other field work.
Group Dance and Song Boticas Regional
was founded on 1 October 1994 in order to give voice to sing asleep in Barroso. Its purpose is the preservation and continuity of the county cultural roots. The group consists of 65 elements. Costumes, based on a work of collecting and research, were used by the people of Barroso in the late nineteenth century. Among others are: the Domingueiro, the Fair, the labors of the field, that of Rich Girls exhibited linen and Burel, flax tow and the stunning Dress Grooms. This group is registered and recognized by the National Federation of Portuguese Folklore.
Group of Cultural Animation tie
started its activities in 1979. It acquired legal personality when was constituted in Association on 25 November 1981. Their costumes are the result of much curiosity, study and research of their great promoter, the Mr. Alfredo Pinto Purple. The performances, this group has spread to the capital of our country.
In January 1994, a group of friends is organized in order to raise fund for the Sports Group of Boticas, and decides to sing the Kings. The success was evident and, in October of the same year is born the group, Toccata Boticas, associated with “Boticas Forum – Recreational and Cultural Association”. Many performances, followed, at home and abroad. The first album was given the title – The Ecomuseum.
By consider of great importance when it comes to folklore and animation of any people that is proud of its traditions and origins experts below the Anthem or Boticas march, written by Father Minhava.
There ! Boticas transmontana linda vila ..
Who is not puffed up to be called your son?
There ! Boticas beautiful princess height, purest snow sister and the stars of Heaven!
Ai Boticas beautiful wreath of flowers of various colors,
Thy wonder is this:
Each flower is a heart.
Branch our Region,
The tree is Portugal.
There ! Boticas
Who gave you these charms
What are many, many, many
Each one its most beautiful?
There ! Apothecaries,
was an angel who came down
and put a corner of Heaven
In the Barroso region.
There ! Apothecaries,
Your motto is work,
make the field an altar
and prayer work.
My land, God help you
and the joy in virtue.
Let your devotion.
O cheerful girls, beautiful songs we sing!
O boys, on this day, there is joy without end!
O rejoice hearts, voai, saltai you and palpitai!
There is joy in the souls. Knock palms,
COUNTIES AND THEIR VILLAGES OF THE COUNCIL OF BOTICAS
1 – Barroso Heights – 32,68Km2
tie, Vilarinho Seco
2 – Ardãos – 22.41 km2
3 – Beça – 30.01 km2
Career Hare, Carvalhelhos Lavradas, Beça Mines, Pinhal Novo, Thursday, Seirrãos, Torneiros, vilarinho the grindstone
4 – Bobadela (14, 78 km2)
5 – Boticas 13,78Km2.
District of Norway, Eiró and Sangunhedo
6 – Cerdedo – 23,96Km2
Casas da Serra, Coimbró and Virtelo
7 – Codeçoso – 8,45Km2
8 – Covas Barroso – 29,67Km2
Wall and Romainho.
9 – Curros – 12,08Km2
Old Curros and Mosteirão
10 – Dornelas – 36.64 km2
Old Couple, Espertina, Gestosa, whiteboards, Great Village and Small Village
11 Fiães Tâmega – 14,76Km2
12 – Farm – 8,79Km2
13 – Pine – 22,56Km2
Sobradelo and valdegas
14 – San Salvador Nursery – 8,83Km2
Bostofrio, Fields and Agrelos
15 – Sapiãos – 21.11 km2
16 – Vilar – 11.90 km2
This village is the one that is the highest altitude (1150m) in Barroso and perhaps even across the North of Portugal. Hence its designation Barroso Heights. According to the census of 1991 has 637 inhabitants. Its patron saint St: ª Maria Madalena, although each year to feast Santana and on 20 January, the St. Sebastian. Notes to inner wealth of his Church, the existence of a decent rural museum visit. Near the village, there are three famous stumps. The most important, being the largest is a group that is similar to the frame of the antlers or horns of an ox. The Right is called Coto the Crows and the left, the stump of Sudro. Both are known horns of heights. These places are one of the best viewpoints of Barroso. In summer the climate is pleasant. Winter is quite strict.
Tie. About this place name, unknown to its source, knowing however that in March 1758 appeared written Tilhó. This village is located in the ancient roads of Braga – Chaves.
He owned a chapel dedicated to his patron – St. Margaret, still classified municipal interest by Decree No. 1/1986 of 31 January.
Vilarinho Seco. Like any locality with this name comes from a small vilar, or an agrarian village. Dry term is determinative of this place, where you notice the lack of water .. At present it can be considered a village thrives. In this place there is a typical house with bar service and catering. It is the main attraction of tourists and visitors, the dwelling house, the Medeiros, composed walkway family chapel with bell and sundial. In this place there is a chapel whose patron saint is St. Paio.
The origin of the village is lost in time. On the place name also no certainty however, may be assumed that this term is associated with the word Burning, and to express where burns or burns much, if have found one augmentative at will and then elevated to the plural as well: Ardãos = + + s will burn. This possibility can be sustained in the fact that near Ardãos have existed very important holdings of gold in Roman times, is making use of coal to melt gold. Another possibility would be that Ardãos derived from Arda, Old Saxon – Harda – big, bigger. Moreover winter the Ardas (sort of woolly squirrel) would attend the swampy stops from high Terva, so they called this site – Ardãos – meaning where there were large Ardas. According to the 1991 census has 457 inhabitants. This village has a green fertile valley, surrounded by hills with several Castros (Mallet, Walled, Ribeira and wedges). It is located in the far north of Boticas municipality, with easy access to the city of Chaves and the county seat. At the location in addition to the people of the furnace has a parish church, whose patron saint is St. Andrew, the chapel of San Roque, which currently serves as a mortuary and the niche of Our Lady of Fatima. A few kilometers from the village, is located the shrine of Nossa Senhora das Neves where it is held one of the most important celebrations of the parish and the region. This parish is a history source able to attract simple curious, scholars or even the best ancient history experts. surrounded by hills with several Castros (Mallet, Walled, Ribeira and wedges). It is located in the far north of Boticas municipality, with easy access to the city of Chaves and the county seat. At the location in addition to the people of the furnace has a parish church, whose patron saint is St. Andrew, the chapel of San Roque, which currently serves as a mortuary and the niche of Our Lady of Fatima. A few kilometers from the village, is located the shrine of Nossa Senhora das Neves where it is held one of the most important celebrations of the parish and the region. This parish is a history source able to attract simple curious, scholars or even the best ancient history experts. surrounded by hills with several Castros (Mallet, Walled, Ribeira and wedges). It is located in the far north of Boticas municipality, with easy access to the city of Chaves and the county seat. At the location in addition to the people of the furnace has a parish church, whose patron saint is St. Andrew, the chapel of San Roque, which currently serves as a mortuary and the niche of Our Lady of Fatima. A few kilometers from the village, is located the shrine of Nossa Senhora das Neves where it is held one of the most important celebrations of the parish and the region. This parish is a history source able to attract simple curious, scholars or even the best ancient history experts. with easy access to the city of Chaves and the county seat. At the location in addition to the people of the furnace has a parish church, whose patron saint is St. Andrew, the chapel of San Roque, which currently serves as a mortuary and the niche of Our Lady of Fatima. A few kilometers from the village, is located the shrine of Nossa Senhora das Neves where it is held one of the most important celebrations of the parish and the region. This parish is a history source able to attract simple curious, scholars or even the best ancient history experts. with easy access to the city of Chaves and the county seat. At the location in addition to the people of the furnace has a parish church, whose patron saint is St. Andrew, the chapel of San Roque, which currently serves as a mortuary and the niche of Our Lady of Fatima. A few kilometers from the village, is located the shrine of Nossa Senhora das Neves where it is held one of the most important celebrations of the parish and the region. This parish is a history source able to attract simple curious, scholars or even the best ancient history experts. It is located the shrine of Nossa Senhora das Neves where it is held one of the most important celebrations of the parish and the region. This parish is a history source able to attract simple curious, scholars or even the best ancient history experts. It is located the shrine of Nossa Senhora das Neves where it is held one of the most important celebrations of the parish and the region. This parish is a history source able to attract simple curious, scholars or even the best ancient history experts.
In this village there is a grouping of Scouts in 1196 of Ardãos, the National tapping Body – Portuguese Catholic Scouting, which has shown great vitality. It was founded on 12 August 2001. For as Chief Grouping and Grouping Deputy Chief, were named Miguel Rodrigues Monteiro and Jose Maria Eira, respectively. For Grouping wizard was appointed by the competent ecclesiastical authority Reverend Father Antonio Diogo Martins. Currently the group consists of 38 elements.
This town takes its name from the river that crosses the river Beça. Its patron saint is St. Bartholomew. Afonso III granted in 1206. In a charter area is the 3rd largest in the neighborhood of Boticas, just after Dornelas and heights. It comprises 10 villages and has 1064 inhabitants (1991 census).
Vilarinho Millstone, would be a small vilar, which possibly existed or would have appeared some millstone. This little village is situated on a platform, or step, on the slope east of the Barroso mountain range, surrounded by crop fields and centuries-old chestnut old. One of the existing hot spots in this place is the people furnace, located at the entrance of the village. The oven house has walls of granite stones laid upon one another without bringing any mortar
Carvalhelhos, is a typical village of Barroso. The Carvalhelhos word may designate a place where there were many small oaks. The Carvalhelhos locale is primarily known for its waters and its Castro. The existing chapel has a patron saint Santa Barbara.
Farms, is located in a place with good access, where would one of the branches on the south, the Roman road that connected the cities of Braga and Chaves. Your name has to do with the fact that it was double cerrado.
Seirrãos, another town whose name is associated with the existence of a warrant Castle built in the reign of King John I, attributing its foundation to Alfonso, Duke of Braganza l.º. Its name is derived from grouper. seirrãos land or shallow and grouper were the ones who paid alternating forum, ie every other year. Here there is a TT track (All Terrain) as well as an excellent vantage point from which it dominates no sé the fertile valley and the village of Boticas like gaze expraia to the tops of the mountains of Senabria, Alturas, Leiranco and Posts . Here there is a chapel with the image of St. Martin, in honor of which it is customary to make your party annually.
Pinhal Novo, Beça Mines, Hare career are recent settlements. The first as its very name indicates. The second came as a result of mining, the last century. The 3rd as its own designation also indicates a place where once was common to find a lot of hunting, particularly hares. This place came as a result of the recent construction of several roads that there intersect. Today it is one of the places of greatest commercial and industrial development of the municipality of Boticas.
Dista of Boticas county seat, about 7 kilometers. It is situated at the foot of Leiranco saw. It has 487 inhabitants (1991 census). Its patron saint is St. Michael. Its a church, pillory and rectory are monuments with great historical importance. Considering the archaeological environment in which it is inserted this settlement may be concluded that its origin and existence is lost in time. The existence of at least three forts: the Bobadela or heath, by the forestry house, now almost imperceptible, the Pebble the Ravens, near the stream of Lameiras da Serra and the Cidadonha of Bobadela, even with walls of signs and moats. The Poco das Freitas, now tourist attraction, is located on the outskirts of this parish, representing the greatest work accomplished by man in the municipality of Boticas when looking for gold in the mines and alluvial. Its elementary school date of 1840. Its valley, rich and productive is watered by water Terva river which rises in the parish Ardãos and Calvão, this Chaves County.
Nogueira is a town in Bobadela parish, situated about a kilometer from the parish council, on the road that leads to Ardãos parish.
It is village, the county seat from November 6, 1836 and the parish since 26 December 1953. It has 1066 inhabitants (Census 1991). Sangunhedo and Eiró settlements are two previous and currently belong to this neighborhood. Pharmacies have been born by the late Middle Ages, on the outskirts of the two towns, along the road that Pedrinha bridge passed Sapiãos keys to where there was also a junction of other routes to many other places and so something important. Here you have installed two or more pharmacies that gave the name to the place that later developed. Even the language confirms this possibility with the popular speech “was at Boticas,” “I came from Boticas” rather than “went to Boticas” or “come from Boticas”. So Boticas name derives from the word for Apotheca where they kept provisions corresponding to the barn or cellar term. In medieval Portuguese acquired the sense of small house where all the variety of objects and hence the popular phrase “be all and in the pharmacy.” Today is synonymous with pharmacy, shop or establishment where they cook up and sell drugs. The existence until a few years ago, a major store or pharmacy, which confeccionava medicines for the whole region of Barroso, and the existence of at least two “estrumarias” (place where they gathered and stayed overnight, mule drivers and owners), reinforcing this possibility. Today is synonymous with pharmacy, shop or establishment where they cook up and sell drugs. The existence until a few years ago, a major store or pharmacy, which confeccionava medicines for the whole region of Barroso, and the existence of at least two “estrumarias” (place where they gathered and stayed overnight, mule drivers and owners), reinforcing this possibility. Today is synonymous with pharmacy, shop or establishment where they cook up and sell drugs. The existence until a few years ago, a major store or pharmacy, which confeccionava medicines for the whole region of Barroso, and the existence of at least two “estrumarias” (place where they gathered and stayed overnight, mule drivers and owners), reinforcing this possibility.
About food, there is honey, meat Barroso veal, smoked pork, derivatives, and good trout that rivers give, accompanied by the “dead Boticas” which, as one might say, give life to whom drink them.
As a result of development and commercial and administrative importance of Boticas village has acquired and because the parish church of Eiró was distant, was expanded and converted into a church chapel of the cemetery. This temple was dedicated to the Virgin Our Lady of Livração in 1880, whose parties in his honor, now also municipal, held annually on the 3rd Sunday in August.
Currently Boticas village is proud of its growth and orderly development. The existence of great infrastructure, public services, social, sports and hotel of exceptional quality make it a prosperous land and where living is a pleasure. The home for the Elderly, the Disabled Support Center, rural museum, library, auditorium, fire, swimming pools, fixed traffic school, sports hall and multi-purpose, Casa San Cristóvão- Rural Tourism are examples where the effectiveness and efficiency are associated the quality and taste.
In this village there is also the grouping of Scouts 1148 Boticas the National tapping Body – Portuguese Catholic Scouting, founded on June 30, 1999, by Order No. 482. National Service were elected to the grouping of Chief positions – Arnaldo Dinis Machado and the Deputy Head of Grouping, António Manuel Rodrigues Machado. For Grouping wizard was appointed by the competent ecclesiastical authority Monsignor Silverio Machado Ribeiro Guimarães. The promises of the first six and thirty scout leaders were performed on 17 October 1989.Este group, with highly dynamic, is composed of 66 elements.
A major population center, with a high and privileged location, because of its excellent exposure to the east. The first houses of the neighborhood were built there with the support and solidarity of the Norwegian people, to welcome the returnees from the former Portuguese colonies, after the revolution of 25 April 1974. Today it is a modern neighborhood with well-structured roads.
The place of Eiró is located in diapers Leiranco saw, benefiting from its exposure facing east and protected North vente. Its place names fits perfectly, since Eiró means draughty place, airy, cheerful and well exposed
This village was parish seat under the name of San Salvador Eiró until the day December 26, 1953 date on which the I.ª Government Gazette series No. 286, was published the transfer of Eiró parish to Boticas. Its church which was the parish, was built in the early seventeenth century, with the patron saint Santa Barbara. It was restored and expanded in 1819.
In the house that is currently rectory and is expected to be in the short term, the residence for all priests who exercise their ministry in the municipality of Boticas. There existed in the nineteenth century, the first university Barroso, (Seminar) led by the Rector of the former parish Eiró, known by Father Master name, the Reverend Father Venancio, a man of unusual and sparkling intelligence, scholar, humanist celebrated and eminent educator. His students excelled in Braga in science, politics and liberal arts. Later and also this place of Eiró there was a school, the author of this paper is proud to have attended, directed by Father Candido, until the appearance of prep Boticas.
Sangunhedo is also one of the places in this town that has been catching the importance it once had. The place name means place where there are many sangominhos or sanguinhos (alder-black). In this place there is a chapel dedicated to St. Alexius, dating from the seventeenth century principles, restored in 1758. There is also located the rural museum Boticas whose creation aims to be an understanding of equipment for all those who, experts or not, please have a look at the oldest and also most recent transformations of man and its habitat over time. It is intended to be dynamic factor of public bodies and authorities, cultural associations and each and every one,
Dr. Luiz Figueiredo War, who was born in Viana do Castelo on March 1, 1853, was Judge of Boticas County, from 20 March 1905 until 11 February 1909. This man, not being born in Boticas revealed a taste for the land and dedicated to the study of the county, especially in respect of archeology and history, philology and paleography that today we use, given its importance. To him we owe the knowledge of four statues of Calaicos Warriors, symbols of national archeology, found in the municipality of Boticas. Hence its fair reference.
Professor Dr. Joaquim Rodrigues dos Santos Junior, who was born in Barcelos on 21.05.1901, made an enormous contribution in the cultural field and the monumental Boticas county. To him we owe the restoration and cleaning of the study Carvalhelhos castro and the lifting of almost all the other existing forts in the municipality of Boticas. Hence its fair reference.
This parish, with only 276 inhabitants (Census 1991), is served by National Highway 311, which connects the Boticas Jump village. It is located in the far east of the county and southwest of Boticas village. Its patron saint is Santiago. It was Abbey Bragança house. In 1839, belonged to the municipality of Montalegre in court and to the region keys. In 1852 he became part of the municipality of Boticas court and the county Montalegre.
According to information provided by the parish letters of 1758, was born and lived in this place a famous popular poet known for Pantoja, whose work unfortunately was lost in time. In addition to Cerdedo, are part of this parish the settlements of Covelo, Coimbró, Sierra Houses and Virtelo. Some of these settlements, including Covelo and Sierra houses are endangered as a result of human desertification that is felt with particular intensity in these most inhospitable places in the municipality of Boticas, where winters are very strict, summer is too short and unproductive fields. Instead of Covelo is pointed out the existence of a chapel dedicated to Santa Barbara, currently out of service. Instead of Virtelo was recently rehabilitated a house intended for tourism activity in Rural Areas,
Coimbró, is a place of cerdedo parish, whose place names fits all, considering that means small Combro, hill or place facing the temporal and beaten by rain in the northeast. Coimbró, formerly Caimbró benefited lately with the works of paving of the streets, and with its new access. This fact helped to remove the isolation to which this village has been subject over many centuries. This village is the most important of the parish soon after Cerdedo. The then existing chapel was dedicated to Santo Amaro.
The parish has 194 inhabitants (Census 1991). The patron saint of the parish church is St. Lawrence. It is located 7.5 km from Boticas Village. He received a charter from King Afonso III on 25 May 1258. Its antiquity and historical importance is patented in the archaeological environment through the existence of two major forts, the Poio or NAIA and the Secerigo. In this village there is a house intended for tourism activity in Rural Areas, the Home window and another with enormous potential for the same purpose, the home of the fence posts. It is one of the most typical villages of the municipality of Boticas, so you can benefit if men know and want, with the alternative tourism sector and rural nature, which begins to awaken in our region and in the country. In this place he was born and lives José Gomes Ferreira Veiga, popular poet and pastor.
Secerigo is a village which is about 2 km of its parish council. His name is closely linked to Castro who adopted his name. Secerigo could mean (sessega, Seriga, seat) where you can be home, mill, tree. Furthermore the sesserigas waters were those who did move the grindstones of the mills and the banks of the Beça River, which flows on the outskirts of this place, there is a significant number of mills, some of them still active, it is urgent to protect and foster, a tourist use of perspective and obvious benefit to the people themselves. This place has a small chapel, very old, dedicated to S. Fruitful. The annual day for realization of your party is 16 April.
As their own place names referred to in this village, it is located at the bottom (pit) of the tabs of the Barroso mountain range. Is 15 km from the county seat. Currently it has two good access, both served from the National Highway No. 311, which connects the Boticas Jump village. The patron saint of this parish is Santa Maria. It has 473 inhabitants (1991 census). The origin of this village is lost in time. The existence in the vicinity of a significant number of forts attest to its importance and historical antiquity, especially of Lesenho and Wall. This town has plenty of water and land with great agricultural potential, justifying the popular aphorism “Covas and pine, without wine village of Bridge, place by place Aguiar Capeludos”. In the pits River was also built a mini-hydro for the production of electricity. In this village there were two villages, the Cabanelas and St. Martin who extinguished by reason of plague in the years 1560. This parish is one of the largest and most important in the municipality of Boticas. According to the 1991 census, it has 473 inhabitants (the senses of 1930, which included the current nursery parish refer 1402 inhabitants). This parish was Abbey presentation of the House of Braganza. It has several monuments including the furnace of the people, chapel dedicated to St. Anthony and the pillory, situated in the center of the village and the church and rectory, these most important. The pillory was, by Decree No. 47984 of 6 October 1967, declared a building of public interest. The Romanesque church, was also declared a building of public interest by Decree No. 47508 of 24 January 1967. This church, along with the rectory, form an architectural complex of the most valuable and beautiful Barroso. Your outdoor dogs, the two chapels and the two side altars, the frescoes inside, the elegance of its chapel, all made of stone with a dome supported by two crossed ribs in the dome zenith make this church a unique monument . In this church, was buried in 1459, Afonso Anes Barroso, squire of the first Duke of Braganza. Its artistic sarcophagus in stone, based on two lions, has a cover that represents a lying monk with an artistic under the head pillow and feet a small animal. It is embedded under a small arc trough side wall Tablet. The rectory of Covas consists of large corridors, large windows and doors, halls, stone sink,
Wall is one of the three villages of this parish. Considering its place – name and that wall and Castro are synonymous, the origin of the village of Muro, is certainly linked to the proto-history.
Romainho, (short for Rome) is an agglomeration which attests to the Visigoth stay in the region. The Romainho neighborhood is nothing more than the quarter of Romaninhos the native stationed in a neighborhood apart, while German lived without mixing beside the other neighborhood. Instead of Romainho highlights the existence of a chapel or shrine dedicated to Our Lady of Exile as well, the existence of a particular canastro, built entirely of granite and which must be preserved.
This parish is the smaller of the municipality of Boticas. In senses 1991, it had only 113 inhabitants. It is composed of the villages of Curros, Former Curros and Mosteirão. Dista of about 9 Km county seat. His church has as patron saint Our Lady of the Snows. It is removed from the core housing and lies on a hillside facing east, from which one can obtain a panoramic view of outstanding beauty. Your riches are hunting, grazing and rye crop, potatoes and some corn.
Instead of Old, whose name reflects its remote there is a small chapel dedicated to S. Brás. The Place Mosteirão, formerly called Monastery, is a village which also belongs to Curros parish, where the climate is milder of the entire region. There we can find a wide variety of Mediterranean fruit trees, including orange and lots of vines. The Terva and Tamega River that pass their term limits has always constituted an important factor of wealth for this village. There flourished a few influential families in the municipality of Boticas, especially Mr. Domingos Gonçalves da Fonte, who came to occupy in the municipality relevant positions, including three terms as mayor in the years 1846.1854 e1860. In Mosteirão there is a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Pleasures.
The patron saint of this parish is St. Peter. It is located at the western end of the county. It consists of seven villages. It has 584 people (1991 census). Earlier it was the county seat, was extinguished after the establishment of the current municipality of Boticas. His previous assignment was Couto Dornelas. Couto was made the Archbishop of Braga, D. Afonso Henriques, 1st King of Portugal, to which special privileges were granted. According to reports and transcripts facts in parochial memories of 1758, Henry the father of D. Afonso Henriques, during their struggles against the Saracens, found this land, then designated city Genestosa, so unusual and resistance, which promised to give this ground Blessed virgin Our Lady St. Mary’s Hospital if he could drive them. Their attempts were made and later, as a result thereof, D. Afonso Henriques was called by his father in the town of Astorga and instructed to comply with his promise. Later, with the presence of D. Plazio, Archbishop of Braga and own the D. Afonso Henriques, it was contituido this Couto. Its place name “Dornelas” means small vat representing the measure of honey and wax the neighborhood annually delivered to Braga Se as input. At the door of the parish church, located in the Grande Place Village is a copy of these vats. Judging by serious castrejos remains and even the ancient city of Gestenosa (Giestosa) is proved that this area was very populated, at least since the pro-historic times. Later, with the presence of D. Plazio, Archbishop of Braga and own the D. Afonso Henriques, it was contituido this Couto. Its place name “Dornelas” means small vat representing the measure of honey and wax the neighborhood annually delivered to Braga Se as input. At the door of the parish church, located in the Grande Place Village is a copy of these vats. Judging by serious castrejos remains and even the ancient city of Gestenosa (Giestosa) is proved that this area was very populated, at least since the pro-historic times. Later, with the presence of D. Plazio, Archbishop of Braga and own the D. Afonso Henriques, it was contituido this Couto. Its place name “Dornelas” means small vat representing the measure of honey and wax the neighborhood annually delivered to Braga Se as input. At the door of the parish church, located in the Grande Place Village is a copy of these vats. Judging by serious castrejos remains and even the ancient city of Gestenosa (Giestosa) is proved that this area was very populated, at least since the pro-historic times. At the door of the parish church, located in the Grande Place Village is a copy of these vats. Judging by serious castrejos remains and even the ancient city of Gestenosa (Giestosa) is proved that this area was very populated, at least since the pro-historic times. At the door of the parish church, located in the Grande Place Village is a copy of these vats. Judging by serious castrejos remains and even the ancient city of Gestenosa (Giestosa) is proved that this area was very populated, at least since the pro-historic times.
Instead of Great Village, is located the headquarters of the parish council, cemetery, Parish Church and the pillory considered property of public interest by Decree 23122 of 11 October 1933. In this place is held one of the most characteristics and traditional festivals and Community, commonly called the feast of “popes”. According to legend, during the 2nd French invasion, St. Sebastian made a “miracle” preventing Napoleon’s troops entered in their land and expoliassem of their belongings. By obtaining this “favor” and thanking the way, a number of families in this village, maintaining the centuries-old tradition, which is to offer a meal of bread, rice and pork, which after blessed is served free to all locals and foreigners, on 20 January each year.
In this village there are five chapels. In place of the Old dedicated to Sao Caetano. Instead of Small Village is the patron saint Our Lady of the Snows. Instead of Giestosa your patron saint is Our Lady of Good Order and St. Benedict. Instead of whiteboards your patron saint is St. Mark. There is another chapel dedicated to St. Anthony, located in Mount Terreiro, next to the current National Highway 311, which connects the Boticas Jump village. Refer parish memories of 1758, regarding this chapel, as very old tradition and had been parish church still in Moorish times. It was said also that before the renovation works, this had churchyard around covered church body shape and chancel but all in tiny point. On the occasion of the celebrations in honor of Saint Anthony, protector of animals, takes place on the spot,Old, Espertina, slates, couple (formerly designated Guimbroa couple), small village and Giestosa are the remaining villages along with the Great Vila constitute the neighborhood Couto, the greater extension of Boticas municipality and the largest number of population. Currently exists in this parish a center for social support to the elderly. Its soils are very productive.
The place name Giestosa translates the existence of gorse. It is one of the most typical places and less tampered with the Boticas county and the country, where history, antique and rurality mix and retain almost intact and deserves this, special attention, a conservation perspective, appreciation and enjoyment of that beautiful part, for tourist or other purposes.
It is a village situated further south of Boticas municipality, extending a large space along the Tamega River, which lends its determinative, to distinguish it from other places with the same name. His first assignment was known Fiais. This crater is about 10 km from the county seat. It belonged to Curros parish until 1834 date in which was raised to the rank of parish. On January 13, 1898 no longer belonged to the municipality of Ribeira de Pena and definitely went to the Boticas. It has 201 people (1991 census). In the center of the village there is a chapel dedicated to Santa Susana, which was converted into the parish church. This parish is one of the smallest of the municipality of Boticas. Its climate is milder of the Barroso region. There is produced maize and beans in abundance. There is a significant variety of fruit trees, namely, citrus and olive trees. Their wine is essentially strawberry. The arbutus spirit is the few specialties that there are produced and marketed. To this parish is attached another location – Veral, whose characteristics in all are similar to the parish council, where the steep slope of cultivated land precludes any kind of mechanization and profitability. In this place there is a chapel dedicated to St. Martin, entitled to annual party. where the steep slope of cultivated land precludes any kind of mechanization and profitability. In this place there is a chapel dedicated to St. Martin, entitled to annual party. where the steep slope of cultivated land precludes any kind of mechanization and profitability. In this place there is a chapel dedicated to St. Martin, entitled to annual party.
It is one of the smallest parishes in the municipality of Boticas. It has 341 people (1991 census). Your place name is instructive. In parishes memories already refers to the Patron of the Barroso Boticas of Grange is Santa Maria. This parish also composed the place of Ventuzelos annexed thereto, is located immediately after the terminus of Boticas village, on roadsides going Sapiãos and keys. In Granja center existed a convent attached to the chapel dedicated to Santa Barbara, where he worked from 1898 to 1908, a school for girls, in charge of the Sisters Doroteias coming from Beça. Unfortunately this iconic monument, is now in poor condition. Its architectural wealth and its historical importance to the town and the county justify its urgent recovery. This parish, as its own name the states was a “Granja” which was bounded by landmarks or standards with the inscription of a B for belonging to the monastery of Cistercian Bouro. In this place there is plenty of water and their fields are flat and productive. By virtue of this parish have situation adjacent to the county seat, has benefited and accompanied the great dynamism, progress and development of his own village of Boticas.
Is distant of about 6 km municipality seat. It has 600 inhabitants (1991 census). Santa Marta is your patron, but the party that annually takes place is also in honor of Santa Barbara. This village is located on top, near the summit of elevation that has the strands to the streams of Terva and Tamega rivers. The mountains are undoubtedly the most prominent element of nature that touched very primitive man, and they are in toponomástica, the oldest linguistic strata, in partnership with the rivers. Thus, the word Pine finds its origin in the Celtic radical “Pinn” with the meaning of “rock, hill, tall” (Ex. Pinnacle). Thus concludes the Pine place name has nothing to do with “Pino Verde” which now frames the whole parish,
According to the texts of the inquiries of 1258, the reign of D. Afonso III, Pine has always been integrated into the Barroso region, belonging to the same primitive Galécia. Pine were found roman coins particular one of gold, Constantine Doukas, a áureo de Trajano coined between the years 112-117 AD and another Bronze. There are several antropormóficas graves as well as a designated Mouril castro. As it turns out, it is the noble history of this land and continues proudly through the Middle Ages and Modern Age. Currently, Pine is a modern and progressive village. Its climate is milder of the region and their fields more productive. The vineyard, olive trees and many other Mediterranean fruit, beautify their fields. This was the first of the village of Boticas to have electric light (1957) and tap water in the home. It is served by three hits, cobbled the parallel from the National Highway 311 connecting Boticas and Vidago. In short, this town is proud of its history and puffed up in being elected enters the main locations of the legendary Barroso, confirmed by the popular aphorism: “Covas and Pine Village and Bridge without wine …”
In this village there is the biggest temple of the district of Vila Real, the Lord’s Hill, where on the last Sunday of July each year, is held the largest festival of the municipality of Boticas. The sanctuary of the Lord of the Mount or the Bom Jesus do Monte as alternately is called, has its origins in 1817 when Domingos Pereira built a cruise, the site pebbles Pena, near the path of the mule drivers who did the exchange and transport of products Barroso to Ribeira de Oura and vice versa. The small cruise with alms peto since 1817, under the invocation of Lord of the Afflicted, shook favorably devotion of Christians and developed so rapidly that in 1821 the Pine pastor gervazio Pires de Carvalho, begins the construction of a chapel where the last Sunday in July 1822 has held the party to Bom Jesus do Monte – Lord of the Afflicted, aggregate the feast of St. James. This great work was continued by Father Bento Lourenço Pereira de Carvalho who knew how to manage money of alms and associate the admirable collaboration of the parish of farmers to learn of the two masons or teachers beds, António Dorge and José Sena. The works were extended in time, concluding the second tower of the temple, only in 1962, with the art and knowledge of the site master Vidago, Joaquim Ferreira Campino, known for pepper. This great work was continued by Father Bento Lourenço Pereira de Carvalho who knew how to manage money of alms and associate the admirable collaboration of the parish of farmers to learn of the two masons or teachers beds, António Dorge and José Sena. The works were extended in time, concluding the second tower of the temple, only in 1962, with the art and knowledge of the site master Vidago, Joaquim Ferreira Campino, known for pepper. This great work was continued by Father Bento Lourenço Pereira de Carvalho who knew how to manage money of alms and associate the admirable collaboration of the parish of farmers to learn of the two masons or teachers beds, António Dorge and José Sena. The works were extended in time, concluding the second tower of the temple, only in 1962, with the art and knowledge of the site master Vidago, Joaquim Ferreira Campino, known for pepper.
Sobradelo riverside village of the Tamega River, is the smallest of the three villages that comprises the Pine parish. Your place name will have Latin derivation of “super-pratellum” meaning top place to a small meadow, by the Tâmega. I passed by the “road of the mule drivers”, a medieval route for trade and transit between the Ribeira de Oura and Barroso, whose crossing of the river was by ferry. It was recently constructed a bridge connecting the Sobradelo Capeludos of Sabrosa municipality. The existence of several mills, its location and characteristics have aroused the curiosity and interest of people outside the village, which has resulted in the acquisition of properties in that location. The Patron of Sobradelo is Andrew.
Valdegas is located in Spring, one of the attachments places Pine parish. In this village there are two chapels, a public, dedicated to the Holy Spirit and other private dedicated to Santa Barbara, consisting of a rich frontispiece with family coat of sheep and Queirogas, sent running in 1746 by Veríssimo Queiroga, ancestors of the Mirandas Ataídes of house of Montalegre Cerrado. Guided by place names, we get valdegas and enter the field of Barrosos. Valdegas (Val de Egas) will rise to your donee D. Egas Gomes Barroso that “had its solar tower in the Sapiãos” or grandfather this also was called D. Egas de Sousa, who was inseparable friend of our first king.
SAN SALVADOR NURSERY
This parish was founded on January 28, 1967 (Decree-Law No. 47516), by detaching the Barroso Covas parish. It has 481 inhabitants (1991 census). The village of San Salvador Nursery, home parish, is located near the highway 311 connecting Boticas Salto, lies the county seat about 10 Km. Its place names is simply expressive and consistent. In this place and on the first Sunday in August (formerly on 6) is carried out one of the oldest and traditional festivals of Boticas municipality, in which and by centuries-old tradition, it is requested the protection and healing of animals, especially of cattle breed barrosã, especially at St. Savior of the World, which has in this region in the chapel nursery. On the day of the party, the people of the nearby and even distant villages there take the cattle to fulfill the promise, making him nine times around the chapel, carrying sometimes cereal bags, rye or corn, tied to the head. Animals are blessed by the priest and remain, the hundreds, scattered in space near the end of the ceremonies. The drastic decline in population and the number of animals associated with the social and cultural development of the people and the region have contributed to the growing and gradual devaluation of this traditional festival. The population of this village refers to the High Middle Ages. Here there are anthropomorphic graves that can be seen on the wall and in the churchyard of St. Savior of the World Chapel. The drastic decline in population and the number of animals associated with the social and cultural development of the people and the region have contributed to the growing and gradual devaluation of this traditional festival. The population of this village refers to the High Middle Ages. Here there are anthropomorphic graves that can be seen on the wall and in the churchyard of St. Savior of the World Chapel. The drastic decline in population and the number of animals associated with the social and cultural development of the people and the region have contributed to the growing and gradual devaluation of this traditional festival. The population of this village refers to the High Middle Ages. Here there are anthropomorphic graves that can be seen on the wall and in the churchyard of St. Savior of the World Chapel.
Instead of fields, lies the most important sanctuary Lusitanian castro, the Lesenho, where it was found the statue of Calaico Warrior. In this place there is a chapel dedicated to Santo Amaro.
Bostofrio is also a village attached to the parish of St. Savior Nursery. The chapel has as patron St. Marcal. Your place name is formed by Busto + cold agglutination. Bust, bustêllo mean forest or thick bush, bush Bouça to pastures, pastures for cattle in fact significantly reflects the reality of that village.
This parish is still attached to the small village of Agrelos, the center of which there is a chapel dedicated to São Mamede.
It is located along the national road 103 which connects Keys to Braga. This crater is the seat of the municipality of Boticas about 4 km. According to the senses 1991 has 658 inhabitants. The Sapiãos place name comes from the word “Sapio” kind of scrubby bush, which was along the plural augmentative suffix “multicomponent”. His story is odd wealth. Its privileged location, plenty of water, the existence of many mills, their agricultural wealth and its proto-historic monuments, Roman and medieval identified, give it a special importance, which its inhabitants rightly take pride. Sapiãos received charter of D. Afonso III in 1251. It was commendation of the Order of Christ. It passed by an important Roman road. In the local cemetery is located a Romanesque church of the thirteenth or fourteenth century. Inside the village there is the parish church whose patron saint is St. Peter and also the Chapel of Santa Barbara. According to the researcher and historian Dr. Artur Couto, the origins of Barrosos of Portugal rooted in Sapiãos.
Sapelos is a village attached to Sapiãos parish, located near the National Highway 103, which links Keys to Braga. This crater is the seat of the parish about 2 km and 6 km county seat. The origin of its place-name, is the same radical Sapiãos word, which he joined adulterated diminutive suffix in the plural ‘links’. Sapelos, is located in the center of the land of the “Golden Valley” – city of Batocas Ardãos and Poco das Freitas of Bobadela. The local chapel is dedicated to Santo Amaro, whose parties is usually held in January 15, or next to this day Monday, becoming arrematações pork meat and smoked pork and constituting an important attraction for the surrounding populations. There is also in this town another chapel, located along the national road, dedicated to Nossa Senhora dos Milagres,
This parish, formerly called Porro Vilar, is located in the center of Boticas municipality, whose headquarters is located around 8 Km. It is located on the right bank of the Beça river and near the National Highway 311, which connects Boticas to Vila Jump. It has 299 inhabitants (Census 1991). Next to the chapel of Nossa Senhora da Guia and in his honor, is held annually an important party. This chapel is distant from Vilar village, about 2 km, standing nearby Grass Leisure Park. The patron saint of this parish is Our Lady of the Assumption and his church is located in the center of town. The parish institution is the fifteenth century, having been a parsonage presentation “adnutum” Abbot Refojos de Basto Convent (Headwaters). Afonso III granted charter a double. It is in place fairly flat and very fertile and sheltered from the north wind. Here it produces potatoes, corn, cereals and lots of brown
As recovery point and tourist attraction, there is this village an important typical house that has been renovated and designed to Tourism activity in rural area – Casa da Eira Longa. The existing castro, which adopted the name of his own parish, falls within the range of other existing nearby attesting to its antiquity, historical importance and the existence of these true human anthills stops.
The other village annexed called the Oak and is distant from his parish council about 2 Km. Your hits are made from municipal roads that serve as nursery and Lavradas. With regard to your place names, it continues, after many centuries to adjust to the current reality. Here the oaks abound and proliferate.
Augustine, Porfírio Maio – Volume I, page 23
Baptista, Daniel Macedo – Volume II, page 46
Barros, Monsignor José Afonso Serafim Oliveira – Volume I, page 73
Barros, José Carlos – Volume I, page 74
Barros, José Carlos – Volume II , page 54
Barroso, Afonso Anes – Volume I, page 75
Batista, Daniel Macedo – Volume II, page 46
Bobadela, Counts of – Volume I, page 82
Botelho, João Correia – Volume I, page 88
Carvalho, Artur de Oliveira – Volume I, page 136
Carvalho, Artur Oliveira – Volume II, page 85
keys, John – Volume I, page 101
Couto Artur Monteiro ,, – Volume I, page 184
days, Joaquim Fernando – Volume I, page 198
Smith, José Rua – Volume I, page 198
days, Mário Rua – Volume I, page 199
Domingues, Sergio Manuel Martins – Volume II, page 122
Fernandes, Augusto – Volume II, page 129
Ferreira, António Rodrigues – Volume II, page 137
Gomes, Augusto – Volume I, page 261
Gomes, Augusto Almeida – Volume II, page 162
Goncalves, André – Volume I, page 263
Fair, Cristiana Isabel Teixeira – Volume I, page 190
Lages Gualdina Rebelo Silva – Volume II, page 192
Lameiras, José Pedro Vieira – Volume III
Lusitania Savings Bank – Volume I, page 316
Magalhães, Amadeu – Volume II, page 208
Martins, Maria Benta – Volume I, page 350
Matos, Domingos Ferreira – Volume II, page 217
Miranda Júnior, Avelino Alves – Volume I, page 377
Miranda, Avelino Alves – Volume I, page 377
Miranda, Virgílio António – Volume I, page 380
Monteiro, Joaquim Gomes – Volume I, page 386
Moura, Arnaldo Alves – Volume II, page 244
Moura, Jose Anselmo Kings – Volume II, page 243
Pereira, Benedict Antonio Medeiros – Volume I, page 458
Silva, Amadeu Monteiro of – Volume I, page 577
Silva, Aníbal Ferreira da – Volume I, page 578
Silva, António Alves of – Volume II, page 349
Silva, António Pereira da – Volume II, page 350
Teixeira, Augusto Xavier – Volume I, page 600
Teixeira, Augusto Xavier – Volume II, page 363
Veiga, José Gomes Ferreira – Volume II, page 37
Vilhena, João de Sousa – Volume I, page 649
In Dictionary of the most distinguished Transmontano and Alto Douro Barroso Source
Lameiras, José Pedro Vieira
Born in Boticas on 8 July 1924. Son of Alfredo Lameiras and Filomena de Jesus Vieira. He attended primary school in Boticas and 10 years old, was studying to Vila Real where, inpatient, attended the College of Our Lady of Good Visit, then completing the general course of high schools (5 years). Then he moved to Braga where he attended the College of St. Gerard, also inpatient, where he completed the complementary course (7th year of high school). His studies continued in Coimbra then completing medical school in 1952. He was a consultant physician S. Marcos Hospital in Braga until 1983. He headed the team of Braga Hospital emergency services in the internal medicine department, by the year 1983. He was a professor in the School of Nursing Caloust Gulbenkien and director of the Anti-tuberculosis Fighting Service (SLAT), now the designation of Tuberculosis Service and respiratory diseases (STDR). Was Medico-Legal Expert of Braga District Court. Was doctor, free of charge, at the Hospice Agrulongo Count in Braga from 1965 to 1975. He also worked in the Medical Social Services in Braga until 1992, the year he retired. He died on 14 May 1993.
LAMEIRAS MACEDO, ANTÓNIO JOAQUIM
Best known for “Tom Lameiras” was born in Boticas on November 13, 1929 Leonel Macedo and Ana Fernandes Lameiras. He played in Boticas, over almost 40 years of activity the Treasurer functions of the Treasury. Permanently imbued by a sense of mission, it was with great merit, wisdom, elevation and great dignity he exercised his profession. Their way of being simple, frank and honest, coupled with his natural friendliness allowed him to garner joint most conceho citizens of Boticas, great admiration and esteem. Your selfless spirit and suapermanente good disposition, associated with unusual qualities, namely organization and methodology in all work, allowed him to be a true multi-purpose. Being public official, it was also in their free time farmer carpenter or bricklayer. When requested, the ones advised, the other filled out forms, contracts, exhibitions or petitions, always without charge. The newspaper Boticas Echoes in 1.1.96 states: “… If the unknown citizen, particularly the Boticvas municipality, to whom this man served, while he lived, had con such dedication voice, he would say that this extraordinary man, is in the history of their land, not have done extraordinary things, but rather to have them done extraordinarily well done. ” He died on December 15, 1995, the victim of incurable disease. who served this man while he lived, had con such dedication voice, he would say that this extraordinary man, is in the history of their land, not have done extraordinary things, but rather to have them done extraordinarily well done. ” He died on December 15, 1995, the victim of incurable disease. who served this man while he lived, had con such dedication voice, he would say that this extraordinary man, is in the history of their land, not have done extraordinary things, but rather to have them done extraordinarily well done. ” He died on December 15, 1995, the victim of incurable disease.
DISTINGUISHED CHARACTERS CONNECTED TO BOTICAS
Lemos, Father Candido
de Martins, Anselmo José
Guimarães, Monsignor Silverio Jose Machado Ribeiro – Volume I, page 279.
Since 1989, it is also parish priest in the parishes of Boticas, Granja, Sapiãos and Bobadela, all the municipality of Boticas. In 1999, with the title “Love Option Total – Celibacy in the Church”, he saw his thesis out to light in Second Edition, published by the initiative of the Episcopal Commission for the Clergy, Seminaries and Vocations, the Portuguese Episcopal Conference, to find that twenty-five years later, the work was still insistent demand and burning today. In its rector activity stand out:
1 – theological Its vast culture;
2 – Determination and verticality of its character;
3 – The dedication in training, coaching and youth groups organization;
4 – The creation of Scouts Boticas Grouping;
5 – The continuous effort into better facilities and equipment for the exercise of ministry in the parish and municipality of Boticas.
Lameiras Macedo, António Joaquim – Volume III
Lameiras José Pedro Vieira
Born in Boticas on 8 July 1924. Son of Alfredo Lameiras and Filomena de Jesus Vieira. He attended primary school in Boticas made and 10 years old, was studying to Vila Real where he attended the College of Our Lady of Good Visit, inpatient, then concluding the old 5th year of high school. Then transferred to Braga where he attended the College of St. Gerard, also inpatient, where he completed the old 7th year of high school. His studies continued in Coimbra where he graduated in medicine in 1952. He was a consultant physician S. Marcos Hospital in Braga until 1983. He headed the team of emergency services of the Braga Hospital in the Internal Medicine Department, by the year 1983. He was a professor in the School of Nursing Caloust Gulbenkien and director of the Anti-Tuberculosis Fighting Service (SLAT) today with the appointment of Tuberculosis Service and respiratory diseases (STDR). Was Medico-Legal Expert of Braga District Court. Was doctor, free of charge, at the Hospice Agrulongo Count in Braga from 1965 to 1975. He also worked in the Medical Social Services in Braga until 1992, the year he retired. He died on 14 May 1993.
Pinto, Artur Alves – Volume II, page 273
Ferreira, AntónioGonçalves – Volume II, page 136
Martins, Anselmo José – Volume I, page 343